Dolby Laboratories and SIM2 Multimedia showcasing a new prototype high-dynamic-range (HDR)–enabled LCD flat-screen display using Dolby’s new light emitting diodes (LED) local dimming technology.
Dolby’s HDR technologies utilize the capabilities of LED-based backlight units (BLUs) to provide outstanding contrast combined with crisp brightness to deliver picture quality that matches real-world visual perception of depth, detail, and color.
The prototype is a 46-inch LCD with Dolby’s HDR LED backlight technology:
* 1,838 LEDs
* LCD panel providing a resolution of 1920 × 1080, fitting a native 16:9 aspect ratio
* Brightness: greater than 4,000 cd/m2
* Contrast ratio: Infinite! Full On/Full Off
* Step size: 16 bits of luminance
* Luminance uniformity: more than 95% through the LCD panel
Incorporated into the design is a Xilinx Virtex field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) chipset, recently approved by Dolby for HDR innovations. The Xilinx FPGA chipset enables the implementation of Dolby’s complex high-dynamic-range algorithms in the SIM2 display.
This prototype sports a contemporary and stylish design, befitting the most diverse of home interiors; it is a new masterpiece by designer Giorgio Revoldini.